The Burrell 8NHP steam engine
The Burrell 8NHP steam engine named ‘Century’, Works No. 748 was built in 1877 at the Charles Burrell’s Works in Thetford, Norfolk. Founded in the late 18th Century the Charles Burrell’s Works produced thousands of steam engines up until they closed in 1928.
The current owner Richard Parrott purchased the engine in 1972, from general manager, Mr Jack Thompson. The engine was in a derelict state after being stood out in the elements for 30 years and was purchased in a non-working rusty state. After repairing the boiler, giving her a new smoke box and getting her up and running, albeit with holes in the tender, she was in steam for the 1972 Weeting Steam Engine Rally. After more repairs and cleaning she was in full working order for the 1973 Rally.
© Strumpshaw Hall Steam Museum | Old Hall, Norwich, Norfolk, NR13 4HR | Designed & built by Joover